Monday, December 8, 2008

Chicks with Scissors




My best friend and I are were recently discussing blogs. The fact that everyone we know has a blog but us seemed a little strange:-) So I decided to try it out.

Every year, there is a contest on the square in my hometown called "Festival of Trees". Businesses and schools and sometimes civic groups and friends get together and decorate Christmas trees. The winner receives bragging rights for the rest of the year.

It has become a great tradition in our community. After the Christmas Parade, people pile into the Chamber Center for hot coco and cookies. While they visit with their neighbors and friends they vote on their favorite trees. Lucky ticket holders win prizes and some of the trees are auctioned off. Everyone leaves full of Christmas Spirit.

All the money collected for the festival is donated to The Carl Perkins Center for the Prevention of Child Abuse, www.carlperkinscenter.org. The money is used to fill "Christmas Wishs" for the children from the center.

Debbie and I LOVE to scrapbook & Debbie thought it would be a GREAT idea to enter a scrapbooking tree.

All we needed was a tree and some ornaments!

Mary Everett, another chick with scissors, had the perfect tree. It was the tree she used as a child. The tree was a magnificent sight. Without the top it stood 9 feet tall and it glowed like something out of "A Christmas Story". Her father is an electrician and boy did he LOVE Christmas lights. Remember when the dad from the movie plugs in the tree ? Sparks fly and all the lights go out? Well we recreated that scene! Our tree pulls uses so much juice, we can't plug it up without causing a power outage!

Tonight is the Christmas Parade so hopefully we will know if we are going to be crowned the winner in a few days. In the meantime, check out some of these great trees & if you would like to know where you can get ornaments made by "Chicks with Scissors" just shoot me an email.

Merry Christmas and Happy Scrappin!


No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am just beginning a new phase of my life so I thought a blog might be fun. We'll see :-) I am a mom to a wonderful daughter, a singer in a band and a lover of all things scrapbooking. Making things to share with friends, to mark a special occasion, or just becasue, is my way of giving a little bit of myself to those I love.

Followers

Blog Archive